Tulsa Summer Health Tips – 2023
By implementing functional medicine tips into our summer routines, we can all feel better, engage in activities we love, and spend quality time with our loved ones. Functional medicine, which focuses on addressing the underlying causes of imbalances, provides valuable insights and practical strategies to help us maintain good health and thrive throughout the summer months. Below you will find Functional Nutrition Resources’s top functional medicine tips for a healthy summer in Tulsa in 2023.
Stay Cool and Hydrated
To maintain optimal bodily function, it is crucial to stay hydrated, especially during the summer when the heat can lead to increased perspiration and fluid loss. In 100-degree weather, you may lose up to 1.5 quarts of fluids per hour through sweat. Hydration holds great significance in functional medicine, and aside from water, incorporating electrolytes becomes essential for replenishing minerals lost through sweating. Consider incorporating natural electrolyte-rich beverages such as coconut water into your routine, or create your own electrolyte-rich drink by adding a pinch of sea salt, lemon juice, and a touch of honey to your water. To retain more water, it is advisable to avoid engaging in physical activity during the hottest parts of the day, especially when prioritizing health during Tulsa’s summer heat.
Eat Healthy Foods
Functional medicine practitioners advocate for the consumption of nutrient-dense, seasonal foods to provide our bodies with essential nutrients. Summer is an ideal time to indulge in delicious fruits and vegetables, making it easier to obtain a diverse array of nutrients. Include colorful produce such as berries, watermelon, leafy greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers in your diet. These foods are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber, all of which support overall health and strengthen the immune system.
Clean Your HVAC System
In Tulsa, where air conditioning is a necessity for many people, it is important to be mindful of the potential accumulation of dust, mold, and other toxins in air conditioners and ducts. Spending more than 12 hours a day breathing in toxins can have negative side effects. The Functional Nutrition Resources team can assist in resetting your body and eliminating these toxins. Prior to visiting us in Tulsa to improve summer health, make sure to regularly clean your HVAC system.
Get Sun (But Not Too Much)
While sunshine has been linked to mood enhancement and vitamin D production, it is crucial to avoid excessive UV exposure. Functional medicine recognizes the significance of maintaining a delicate balance between sun exposure and skin protection. Aim for moderate sun exposure during safe hours, such as early morning or late afternoon, gradually increasing your time in the sun to allow your skin to adapt. Utilize natural, non-toxic sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and seek shade when the sun is at its strongest.
Prioritizing quality sleep is essential for optimal health, and functional medicine acknowledges its significance. During summer, longer daylight hours and warmer temperatures can disrupt sleep patterns. Create a sleeping environment that is cool, dark, and quiet to promote restful sleep. Consider implementing measures such as blackout curtains, a fan, or an air conditioner to maintain a comfortable temperature. Establishing a consistent sleep routine is also beneficial. Allow yourself enough time to wind down before bed and limit exposure to electronic devices that emit blue light. Engaging in activities such as meditation or yoga can also aid in achieving restful sleep – a must for anyone in Tulsa seeking a healthier summer experience.
Maintaining an active lifestyle is important regardless of the season, as movement is a powerful tool for optimizing health. Take advantage of the cool mornings and warm evenings of summer to engage in outdoor activities that you enjoy. Whether it’s swimming, cycling, practicing yoga in the park, playing sand volleyball, or simply taking a leisurely walk around the mall in the afternoon, find activities that align with your preferences and fitness level. Listen to your body and pace yourself, allowing for rest and recovery as needed.
Fill Your Calendar with Healthy Activities
It’s one thing to say “Get active!” but another thing to recommend fun, family-friendly activities that get your body moving. Here are a few Tulsa-specific healthy summer activities.
- Cherry Street Farmers Market: Located in the heart of the historic Cherry Street District, this farmers market offers a wide selection of fresh, locally grown produce, as well as artisanal products and crafts. It’s a great place to support local farmers, enjoy healthy food options, and connect with the community.
- Gathering Place: This world-class park spans over 66 acres along the banks of the Arkansas River and offers a range of activities for people of all ages. The park features beautifully landscaped gardens, playgrounds, sports courts, walking and biking trails, and even a skate park. It’s an ideal spot to enjoy outdoor recreation, picnics, and organized events as you improve your summer health in Tulsa.
- Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness Area: Located just a few miles from downtown Tulsa, Turkey Mountain offers over 300 acres of natural beauty and trails for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. With its diverse terrain and scenic views of the city, it’s a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking to stay active and enjoy nature.
- Mohawk Park: As the largest municipal park in Tulsa, Mohawk Park offers abundant recreational opportunities. It encompasses over 2,800 acres of land and features picnic areas, playgrounds, sports fields, a golf course, and the Tulsa Zoo. Whether you want to take a leisurely stroll, play sports, or enjoy a family outing, Mohawk Park has something for everyone.
- Sports complexes: Tulsa boasts several sports complexes, such as the Indian Springs Sports Complex and the Titan Sports and Performance Center. These facilities provide various sports amenities, including soccer fields, baseball and softball diamonds, basketball courts, and fitness centers. They offer opportunities for organized sports, individual workouts, and recreational activities.
Have a Healthy Summer in Tulsa with Functional Medicine
It’s easy to have a fun, healthy summer with functional medicine in Tulsa. Make sure you stay healthy and active with functional medicine!
Take charge of your well-being and make this season one to remember. Incorporate functional medicine tips into your daily routine and unlock the potential for optimal health and vitality. Stay hydrated, nourish your body with nutrient-dense foods, prioritize quality sleep, protect yourself from excessive sun exposure, nurture your mind-body connection, and engage in regular movement and exercise.
Consider becoming a client of Functional Nutrition Resources, where our team guides you toward joy, energy, and vitality. Our comprehensive and personalized functional medicine programs are tailored to your needs and, in many cases, lead to transformative results.
Ready to improve your health this summer in Tulsa? Get started with functional medicine today!